Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
102395076

Following the death of my father, the bank released the

Customer Question

Following the death of my father, the bank released the funds from his bank account to my solicitor over a month ago. There are no debts to pay....how long can they hold the money for and who gets the interest?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Thank you. In worksop, South Yorkshire..
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have phoned the bank who state that the funds were released to the solicitors mid July.. Everytime I ring the solicitor, they state that either someone will get back to me or the Solicitor who is handling the case is out of the office for a week....
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what I can do about the situation. Thank you
Expert:  Helen Hill replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a wills and probate lawyer so will be able to help.

It is usual for an acting solicitor to delay making distributions for up to six months after the date the Grant of Probate is obtained. Firstly, because there is a statutory notice period in which the death is advertised which allows anyone owed money by the deceased to come forward and secondly because there is a six month period from the date of the Grant of Probate in which anyone making a claim against the estate can lodge that claim.

Any interest accrued during the administration period is also paid to the beneficiaries so they should not lose out. Although it doesn't sound like you have anything to be concerned about at the moment it must be frustrating that the solicitor is not providing you with this information and keeping you informed of the process. I would suggest you put your concerns in writing to them and ask for an update and a prediction as to when distributions will take place. Hopefully this will clarify things for you.

I hope this information is useful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards, Helen

Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding the above as I would be happy to help.