PeterCollinsUK
PeterCollinsUK,
101823876

Assistant: How can I help? I got divorced in 2009 and as

Customer Question

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I got divorced in 2009 and as part of my settlement it was agreed that my ex-husband would pay child maintenance of £300 a month until she completed full time education. She has just turned 16 and will be starting college in September and he has decided that he thinks £300 is too much and we should renegotiate. I believe he can't do this as the agreement was made in court and he is bound by it. Where do I stand?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: The papers where stamped by the County Court in November 2009
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: The papers were stamped by the County Court in November 2009
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you. I just wanted to know if he is allowed to do this
Expert:  PeterCollinsUK replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am here to assist. Technically, either party can apply to vary the court order, at any time. However, as successful application would have to show a change of circumstances as the motivation behind the request for variation. Changes of circumstances would be things like remarriage of either party, changes in income, inheritance etc. If there hasn't been anything that has really changed, it's not likely that an application to vary would succeed.

There is a helpful article here, which explains the process in more detail: https://flip.co.uk/maintenance-variations-top-tips-and-the-process-by-james-pirrie/​

There is a helpful article here, which explains the process in more detail: https://flip.co.uk/maintenance-variations-top-tips-and-the-process-by-james-pirrie/

Expert:  PeterCollinsUK replied 9 days ago.

Is there anything else I can assist with today? I'd really appreciate you taking a moment to accept my response and provide a positive rating so I can be credited by just answer for answering your query. Many thanks, Peter

Expert:  PeterCollinsUK replied 7 days ago.

Hello, can I help further with your question at all? Many thanks.