How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 73374
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Breif as can be. I have a court summons for a speeding

Customer Question

Hi, Breif as can be. I have a court summons for a speeding offence. I was offered a speed awareness course which I booked. On the day in question ..long story but wont go into it. I couldn't find the place and when I finally did I was to late for the course.I rung them to explain they aid I could rebook. At that time I was waiting for new bank card so couldn't do it . once it came through I was told on trying to rebook that my papers had gone back to the police. I wrote to the policing office asking if I could explaining what happened and asked if I could till take the course.
Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Fixed Penalty notice. 0013050102181820 Date of offence. 10/01/2018.Francesca WillsonToday I have received a Summons on Referrel to Court.I do not understand why I have been issued this as I had paid the fixed penalty of £ 100 on the 1st of May 2001. Authorisation code 985063. within the 28 days allowance.Briefly as I can I will explain what happened.I was offered a speeding awareness course of which I accepted and booked. I set off 2 hrs preceding time to get there as I was not sure where it was. My Sat Nav took me a way I didnt know but knew it was not the direction I though I should be taking. I reverted back re set code and drove in what I now presumed was the correct way. On being informed I had reached my destination...but I was on the wrong side of the took me over half and hour to be able to turn round and when I did I missed the turn now I was to late to get there on time so I went back home. I rung and explained what had happened. I was offered a re book..but I couldn't do it because I was waiting for a new bank card. A week later it arrived. I tried to re book but was told my info had been returned to the police. I then wrote a letter to the department explaining what happened and asked if I could re book. In between waiting for a reply I got a letter to pay a fixed penalty £100and to send my licence off. So I paid the fine and then kept my licence as I was driving to Edinburgh for 2weeks .Thinking that it had been dealt with . When I arrived back home I had a letter from the police stating I could re book and was assigned another booking ...but having paid the fine I believed it was too late and I would not be refunded the payment I had made for the fine. . I sent my licence off to the dept to have the points added. . I also sent a letter to the court asking why i had I been issued a court order ? when I had already accepted and paid the fixed penalty fine ... which I had received in the meantime . The licence was returned saying it was to late as I had exceeded the time allowance and could not be processed. . Now today I receive a letter to appear at court. I rang the number given and waited over half an hour and then I was cut off and when I rang back it was closed for the day.. I would also like to point out … that my vehicle is a car ! it is NOT a goods vehicle or a passenger carrier as described in summons and I am now wondering if it was my car at all ? the registration is mine ..but it is a KADJAR . This is not the first time I have supposed to be somewhere when I havnt been anywhere near of which I was able to prove . Could you please advice me as to what this is all about .Ive done everything that I was asked and the fine was paid ON time so I really am at a loss as to why this summons has been issued and obviously this is causing me quite a lot of stress . I am disabled and cannot walk... very far . I would be very grateful if you could sort this out for me . I hope this is clear enough for you to understand .Yours Sincerely *****: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Romford Essex.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think ive coverd it all in the post
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

So, in short, you didn't attend the course and you didn't send your licence in on time?

So they've summonsed you?

What are you hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I got the fixed penalty letter. I thought they were not allowing me the second course so I payed the fine ..I didnt send the licence in on time for the points to be added.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I paid the fine as soon as I got the letter.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you didn't comply in time.

Not sure what you wanted to do about this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am disputing the summons also the court is miles away out of my area. I am disabled and cannot travel on public transport as I have difficulty walking. and I would definetly not drive there. I have also paid the fine on time it was just the licence I had not posted off in time. They did not re inburse me the moey an still expect me to go to court
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you still there ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Oh yes, but I still really need to know what you are hoping to do about this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already replied to that question above. I would like them to cancel the court case
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Im really sorry but there is prospect of that.

Come what may, you didn't do the speed awareness course and you didn't send your licence in therefore the fixed penalty couldn't be applied.

There is just no basis to withdraw the summons.

You can plead guilty by post so you won't have to attend but you have no right to demand that they withdraw the summons.

They won't reopen the fixed penalty now because they are running out of time on their six month limitation period.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thank you , thank you for your time .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile