chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My company name is MDF cut to size limited formed in 2004.

My company name is ***** ***** to size limited formed in 2004. Unsurprisingly I cut medium density fibre board to size. But everyone else uses this term and its bankrupting my business.. Can I sue google?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: London, England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I am seriously in trouble at the moment because I can not pay google the fees they want for me to advertise my actual name..
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No..Jim
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I simply can not afford to keep paying google to be top of the search engines. I have named my company specifically to attract MDF cutting work which is being taken from me by other companies using my company name online..Jim
Hi Jim,I am a Solicitor and practice commercial law.Would you still like assistance with this?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please, I thought the answer was going to be here...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told I would get an answer for a £5 payment which I have made..
Hi,Unfortunately Jim, the name you have chosen is quite generic and consists of commonly used terms. The name: 'MDF Cut to Size Ltd' although is a descriptive name,would be extremely difficult or impossible to copyright or trademark those words.Therefore, you will always have this problem unless you rebrand.Copyright Design and Patents Act does not allow you to protect everyday words as this would hinder use and create a huge problem.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks