chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I wondered how I stand with a small problem I have. I am a

Hi I wondered how I stand with a small problem I have. I am a volunteer of a grassroots football club and we organised a funday to fundraise. We charged a fee to stall holders and show rides etc and they got to keep the profits. Our funday was a rainy windy day but we went ahead as planned. 4 show rides incl 1 food van turned up and set up. They had paid £300 in advance as did the other traders. I approached them and said if the weather did not clear up we would cancel and I would give a full refund. We decided to give it til 12pm. At 12pm I went to tell the showmen we were guna continue as it was fairing up only to see they had left without telling me. Now their organiser is insisting on a full refund and threatening all sorts towards the club. She reckons she is in touch with a solicitor and they told her as I was the one that arranged the funday she should only deal with me.i am only a volunteer of the football club and i dont think we should be refunding as they left the site. Pkease can you advise even a little. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing was signed no contracts or anything

I am a Solicitor and practice in the area of commercial law.

Would you still like assistance with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please I would like to know how I stand
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please communicate through email
Hi,I assume from your comments in the thread that there was no written agreement.What kind of sums are we talking about? I mean how much is she demanding?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No agreements or anything signed she is asking for the full £300 and is now trying to say I need to pay for loss of stock amounting to £600
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I right in thinking she has no come back at all as nothing was signed?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She voluntarily paid me the pitch fees but as the day didn't go in her favour she is now making these claims surely her insurances cover loss of earnings in situations like this? Please respond asap as I need to know What to do about this situation
Hi,There is a slight chance she would be able to claim the 300 but definitely not for loss of stock.The fact that they were present and then decided to leave early works in your favour.Unfortunately, we cannot predict the weather and as such, from the information provided, you provided adequate notice of whether it would be cancelled and it went ahead.I do not believe she has a good case, however, you cannot stop anyone issuing a claim against you.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Excellent on what grounds could she claim the £300 back?

She can argue that there was a verbal agreement and that a refund was offered and not made. However, you state the fun day continued, despite the bad weather and a s a result, no refunds were made.

You would be able to defend any claim that is made against you.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thankyou could you tell me what this would cost both parties if she escalated it to a small claims court as she is threatening?

Court fees should be no more than a few hundred pounds. With regard to legal fees, it would depend on the firm. For example my hourly rate would be 250.00 plus VAT and disbursements. This would mean that it would not be worth pursuing as she would be unable to recover legal fees.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
in your opinion what do you think should be my next move in thus situation ? I can cope with slander and I honestly don't think she could hurt our football clubs name she is a showman we are a children's football club I will never need to use her services of rides etc ever again
Hi,At this stage, I would suggest you do not do anything until or if you ever receive a claim through the courts. If you do, I would be happy to guide you through process through this forum.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.Many thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great thankyou you have Definately helped put my.kind at ease. Thankyou again marie
Hi Marie,It's a pleasure.Kindly click ACCEPT and rate the answer and provide feedback.Many thanks