chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My company is wishing to extend the lease on a leasehold

Customer Question

My company is wishing to extend the lease on a leasehold property it owns as there is a little over 81 years left. The company has paid for the valuation and agreed the value, a little over £8,000, with the freeholder. I understand that the company will have to pay for the otherside's legal costs which it is prepared to do. Despite there being no formal service of notices nor any haggling over value the charges demanded by the otherside's solicitor is entirely disproportionate to the transaction vale or the work required. Their charges are £1,500.00 plus VAT to deal with this matter. Can they be required to abate their charges?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The company's solicitor has received a demand for an undertaking in the sum of £1,800 which the company has sent and the undertaking for fees has been given in order to get the process moving.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Yes, her view is that because the freeholder can choose her lawyer I have to pay the fee. She advised other courses of action all of which may end up costing more and delaying the transaction.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 9 days ago.
Hi,Thank you for your question.Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to reduce the solicitors fee. The going rate is approximately £1,250 to £1,750.You may be able to ask the freeholder to pay half but this would require some savvy negotiating.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks