12826847

I have been using a car park free of charge for 26 years

Customer Question

I have been using a car park free of charge for 26 years which has today been blocked off by the New owner who has put up signs stating it is a private car park, no unauthorised parking. Do I have any rights to continue parking?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Is it private land?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not yet received any further response, when is this likely?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

There is no dispute that he is the new owner?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Ok.

That is bad news I'm afraid.

You don't acquire adverse possession in this way and anyway you haven't taken the necessary steps. Adverse possession normally applies to things like renovated houses.

you don't acquire an easement over land because you have parked there without objection sadly.

If ownership has passes to another then he is entitled to enforce his own boundaries.

You could try to negotiate with him though. He doesn't know this and he won't want to be sued.