How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 53080
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am a builder with 36 years experience and a very good

This answer was rated:

I am a builder with 36 years experience and a very good reputation. I am being sued by an individual for poor workmanship which I do not agree with. I am a limited company and I would like to know my next step, if I do not respond by the 14th August the said individual will commence court proceedings, however I do not want to contact the person directly. Would you please advise.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Did the customer raise any issues with you, prior to now? Also, how long ago did you do this work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The house is a new build and it was half built and had been passed by a building inspector. I had been having issues with the person who openly admitted to having OCD and was constantly inspecting my work. I left the job in June and I received a letter in July notifying me that they had an independent inspection which had highlighted the apparent building faults.

OK thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. If you do not contact the person directly, they could potentially make a claim against you, which they have the legal right to do. You can of course suggest mediation though a neutral professional party but they do not have to accept this. The alternative is to engage a solicitor yourself and get them to correspond with the client on your behalf, although this will of course incur additional costs for you.

So you would either have to continue communicating with them directly, suggest a mediator and hope they agree to taking part in mediation or get someone else, like a solicitor, to contact the for you. Failing all of the above you may have to face a claim in court, which you will then have to defend formally and let the court decide who is in the right.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you

you are most welcome

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you