12826847

I have a assault allegation made against me. I need legal

Customer Question

Hi I have a sexual assault allegation made against me. I need legal advice on how to proceed.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in London.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Well I live in a house share. The other tenants will not hear me out and have ruled me guilty with no 'trial'. There is a harassment campaign to get me out the house and I am leaving asap as cleary I am not wanted here. They threatened to call the police and I invited that option as I feel the truth will prevail. However I feel that I should go to the police to preempt any allegations.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well I will need to give you the full story, should I tell it here or explain it to a solicitor?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Jo thank you for looking at this for me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

no problem.

So what are you hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I've been in this house share for the last 5 years (about 5 years actually). A lady moved in about 2 or 3 years ago. We have always got on really well and never had any problems. Last year I knocked on the bathroom door to check if anyone was in there and she opened the door to me naked. I was a little taking back to be honest but she just chatted to me like there was nothing wrong. Anyway I confided in another house mate about this incident and she told me that this woman had been having quite a few affairs (she is maried and her husband is in Bulgaria). Anyway fast forward to last week and she did it to me again (came out naked) and stood in front of me and chatted. She does not normally walk around nude so I took this as a seduction technique. Two days later I she knocked on the door so I came out naked and my intention was suduction. She just laughed and left. At no point did I touch her or corner her or anything like that. If anything I felt a silly coz I'm not really sure what I'm doing in this area. Anyway I just went to my room and that was that. Now people in the house have started yelling assault and a campaign to make me leave the house (which I'm doing). They threatened to call the police but have not yet however I am thinking I should go to the police and explain what happened. Before I do that I need to know how serious this is against me?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Apologies for it being so long winded.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I might add that during my time at this house I have never had a single incident of any sort nor have I got any history of this sort of thing whatsoever.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Jo, just checking we didn't get disconnected?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

No, I'm still here.

But I am not sure what you are asking?

Can you ask a specific question?

Are you asking if you should go to the police?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Well yes. It's the whole situation I am not sure about. It all happened very suddenly. What is my offence and would she also be guilty of it? If I go to the police will I immediately be arrested? I guess I am asking what is my legal status in this situation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

There is no point in going to the police. There is no allegation against you yet and there is no sense in handing yourself in until there is.

I think she is alleging a sexual assault, isn't she?

I'm not sure what you think she would be guilty of ?

If you are accused then probably they will invite you in for interview. They tend not to make arrests now if they can avoid it unless there is a pressing need.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she is alleging a sexual assault as I was nude in front of her. However if I am guilty of that I thought then maybe she would also be guilty of that as shes done it twice to me before. I understand this is a 'he said she said' type of situation but I have everyone accusing me of this and just wanted to see what my situation is legally speaking.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Being nude in a private place is not an offence.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good to know. Thank you for your help. I will leave it and see if it goes any further. Much appreciated.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/