chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have signed a assured shorthand tenancy agreement for 12

Hi I have signed a assured shorthand tenancy agreement for 12 months after viewing the property in January (the property was in good repair) I have paid the deposit / rent and the rental agreements starts today - on arrival at the flat it is not fit for purpose - mould in every room and carbon monoxide detector showing danger levels. We have returned the keys to the letting agent and have asked to terminate the contract...... they have refused what are my rights?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not sure where to start have spoken to CAB they gave me number for shelter but no answer
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is a shared tenancy thats it and we are students
Hi,Thank you for your question.I am a Solicitor and able to answer your question.Would you still like assistance with this?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no don't really want to call thanks
If the property is not fit for habitation you have a right to reject it.I Would suggest that you report the matter to the local council and ask them to investigate.In addition, I would suggest you do the following,1. Write to the agents and inform them that the property is not fit for habitation and as s result you require a full refund within 14 days or you will issue proceedings.2. File a complaint to the agents.3. File a complaint to the property Ombudsman if you have not received a satisfactory response to your complaint to the agents.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the advice I will do all the above. Kind regards Louise
It's a pleasure.Kindly click ACCEPT and rate the answer and provide feedback.Many thanks