Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I had a firm (OG Conservatory Maintenance) renew some of the

I had a firm (OG Conservatory Maintenance) renew some of the timber beading around the sealed double-glazed units in my conservatory. The units he dealt with later developed vertical runs of some sort of substance inside the sealed glazing. Another double glazing firm looked at it and said that it was due to the sealant that OG used reacting with some of the chemicals used in the make up of the sealed unit. Is there anyone I can get an independent expert opinion from and is there an arbitrator or ombudsman I can get to help me resolve this without the expense of litigation.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Live in Wokingham Berks UK. No I haven't spoken to a lawyer as I am on a pension and worry about their bills
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have communicated with OG twice (by email) and had some sealed units replaced by a glazer who offered the opinion on the sealant. I put this to OG in my second email but he continues to maintain that it is nothing to do with his repair.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all I can say at the moment

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is it you want to know about this and achieve?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want OG to accept responsibility for this and either make good or compensate but I need an independent expert opinion.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Live phone call? No I want more information before I spend more money
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are we still in communication?

If you know the cost of getting it corrected, that is your loss.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How would I go to court. Is this what is called a small claims court

Yes, it is. If you see my reply above you will see you can issue a claim online

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think what I need is an independent expert opinion. The second glazer might not be considered independent or expert

Yes they will. Or you can get a survey done.

But a glazier will be sufficient.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you

Great. Can I help with anything else today?