How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 57413
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Assistant: How can I help? im not sure which area of law

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: im not sure which area of law this falls under but ... in short ... I was having building works carried out at my property, which i own. The builders messed up and I had to call upon other builders to carry out remedial works and compete the job. The first set of builders sent me a bill for £10,000 and agreed to deduct the cost of the remedial works. At the time work started (almost a year ago) I was in full time employment. since then however my position has changed and I am no longer employed. Seeing as I'm no longer employed, will the court force me to pay the balance all at once, or would i be allowed to pay in manageable instalments?
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: nope ... that's why I'm here
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: my status is mentioned in my introduction
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi BenGreat stuff

Is the builder not willing to accept payment in installments?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have yet to propose this, so wanted to check my legal standings before making this suggestion

OK thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Thanks for your patience. Just one more thing - you mention court, has this actually gone to court?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
noi'm in talks with them. This has not gone to court, but they have mentioned it as a possibility should we not reach an agreement

Ok, thanks. If you cannot pay their bills in one go, or as per their payment terms, they can consider going to court. If I was them I would probably not do that as the risks will be quite high but it is up to them. Should this go to court, you can ask it to determine any repayments based on your current financial situation and for a periodic repayment agreement to be drawn up. You cannot force the court to do this but can ask them to consider it. So yes, there is certainly an option for you to do this and for the debt to be repaid over time. Also, discuss this situation with the builders and advise them that if they went to court they will unlikely get a better result as the courts will take into account your ability to pay, so by going to court they will just be incurring unnecessary extra costs, wasting their time and increasing the debt in question. Therefore, it would be best to continue directly with you only and to agree on something between yourselves. You are not trying to avoid the debt, just amend how it is payable.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you ... the reason I mentioned that I'm a home owner i because I want to make sure that there would be no possibility of me being asked to sell the property to cover the cost.

Highly unlikely that you would be forced to sell your house for a debt of this level, so I would say it is unrealistic in the circumstances

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Perfect ... thank you BenThis does answer my question and you have been a great help. I will complete the ratings adequately.I have another question related to this case. I suspect there is a fee involved in asking it. How do I proceed? Should I restart, or do I ask here?

you would need to post a new question, just in the same way you posted this one, thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok greatThanks Ben

no probs thanks