31090051

We put our son on a one day car insurance policy to help my

We put our son on a one day car insurance policy to help my husband collect another vehicle that he was buying. On the motorway on the way back, there was a tyre in the road which my son swerved to avoid hitting it. He veered off onto the gravel in the middle of the motorway and the side of the car hit the middle barrier. He then managed to bring the car to a stop. The police and an ambulance arrived on the scene to check that he was ok and they also checked that there was no damage done to the barrier. They said he was ok to carry on driving as the car had little damage. We repaired our own car at our own expense. Then I got a call a month later from my insurance company to say that there was apparently a claim against my car for another vehicle's windscreen that had been damaged at that particular incident. They said that a stone had apparently damaged a windscreen to a vehicle that was travelling in the opposite direction on the other side of the motorway. How they managed to get my registration number, I do not know. Our son now is trying to get insurance on his own vehicle, but has been told there is a claim against him with regards ***** ***** so-called incident. He has contacted Admiral insurance (who he was on the one day insurance with) and they said they couldn't get hold of him back in June, and they have a report from the police but misunderstood the report and assumed that the tyre that was in the road came off our car and caused the damage to the other car on the other side of the motorway. They have settled the claim and paid out £500 for a new windscreen. My son was unaware that this claim had gone ahead and now his new insurance on a vehicle he has just bought is now going up an extra £80 a month which he can't afford. I would like some advice please on how this claim was allowed to be settled without his side of the story?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No, we can't afford a lawyer, and this has only just come to light today. It is here in the UK.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: You're my first point of contact. My son only found out today from the insurance company that they had settled the claim
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just needing some advice please

Thanks for your question. If they have misunderstood the report and have made no effort to discuss the issue with your son and get his side of events then he should be demanding that the premium he had be reinstated. If they refuse this is a case which the financial services ombudsman would almost certainly find in your son’s favour. It is a blatant mistake by the insurer and they can’t make your son pay for that. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is there a contact number you can give me please for the Financial services ombudsman
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
are you still there

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.