12826847

On 6th September I bought a new car. I am hopeless at using

On 6th September I bought a new car. I am hopeless at using Gov.UK and the car tax link would not accept the details I put in so I sent a cheque off with a covering letter to DVLA. I kept a copy of the letter and I have the cheque stubb. Unfortunately my new car was written off in an accident on 15th September which was fault of other party and they admitted it to the police. I was proceeding correctly. My insurers have been brilliant so far and advised me to go for personal injury but when I got my bank statement today I found to my horror that DVLA had not collected my car tax payment. So I checked online and it says that my wrecked car was not taxed. I can prove I sent the cheque but does this void my insurance? I am so worried.
Assistant: Can you tell me where this is? And do you have copies of the medical records?
Customer: I'm in UK but I an asking about my car tax not medical problems
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Why would I? It was the other drivers fault and he admitted it to the police. My question is about car tax
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not sure you are getting the right message from me as your questions dont relate to my problem

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

You weren't driving uninsured. This does not render you uninsured per se.

But the insurance company could use it as an excuse to dishonour your claim. It depends what the policy says but generally speaking they won't insure you to drive untaxed.

They might not find this though. They rarely look at tax.

They might not dishonour claim anyway. They often don't over things like this.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Well I have been with the Co-op for many years and they have always been good to me so I mailed them today and told them the truth. I sent them a copy of my cheque stub and my letter to the DVLA to prove that I had posted my cheque. I am hoping they will take pity on me as I was injured in the accident and have been through so much stress.

Yes, there is a good chance they won't even notice.