Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I will try and be brief.... My son has been a 6monthly

I will try and be brief.... My son has been a 6monthly tenant for more than 10 years, The decision is for the family to buy a house for him to live in. He has been offered 6months. warning of great rent increase and no firm guarantee of renewal in April 19. John has amended dd to take in rise as asked in the 6mth. lease he is now offered, but signed nothing yet. Can he more or less insist that he go on a Periodic arrangement, showing his willingness by the additional rent. if the purchase came through in say 8 weeks he would not want to be responsible for any further rent after his one month notice. Hope this makes sense... what do you advise
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: John has receieved an Agreement offer 6 months. He has a letter explaining the intention to double glaze very shortly and that in A[pril the rent will rise to 660 per c.m. and that … their words. We cannot guarantee that we will offer you a new Tenancy
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: In Ashford, Kent. it is a starter home in poor condition and no work has been done since he has been in residence
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: let us say that the landlord is not one of the best.....but I suppose that is not relevant, except John is keen not to exacerbate the situation and get a 2 month notice at the drop of a hat

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

I am not quite with you. What do you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wish to avoid making a mistake... My son does not want to be ties to a further 6 month as it is obvious that he will not be offered a further agreement in april19 how can he be sure of getting onto a periodic tenancy as I think it is called..... sort of open ended so he could give his months notice, let us say in February
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could we please try to continue as at present.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you agreeable to this?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would be glad to know if you feel able to continue....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not feel I am in a position to commit the funds to a phone call...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am I to understand that you do not feel able to assist me....I would not have bothered you if I had known that an additional cost would be involved to answer my query

Sorry I am just on the train. Do they want him to sign a new agreement? If he refuses, then what?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks for response this is to your last.....No., don't want my son to sign 6 month agreement. The family is intending to buy a house for him to live in within the next couple of months... the anxiety is to be sure he can stay in this rented acco., until that time... but no longer. can the landlord refuse to allow the tenancy to become a Periodic tenancy... my understanding.... one month notice from my son, two from the landlord....
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is prepared to pay the £20 enhanced rent required has arranged d.d. for payment 23rd Octo.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
perhaps I was too brief... top line should perhaps be No,,,I…...do not want...etc

ok. what is it you want to ask me then?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried to explain....my son has been sent a new 6 month tenancy agreement along with a letter telling him of a large rent increase tocome in April. The family is going to buy a house for john to live in. he does not want to be tied into a 6 month agreement. if he does not sign these papers will it automatically become a Period tenency where he can give a months notice of wishing to leave. Can the landlord insist if he,John, wants to stay until the house purchase goes through..that he must sign for 6 months.
it becomes periodic monthly rolling automatically tenancy. That is automatic. He does not need to do anything
In order to increase rent anyway they have to serve a specific notice giving a right of appeal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will be OK to do the +£20 in order not to antagonise the landlord into giving two months notice....I take it that when the purchased house is ready John just gives one month's notice. To sure...the Landlord can't insist on a 6 month renewal, can he?
But as long as he doesn’t sign it won’t be a new agreement
Does that clarify ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that just might trigger a two month notice from the Lland lord?
That is a risk. Either party has a rolling months agreement with no real security
Does that clarify ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for your help. I shall be glad when this is all done and dusted, as you may see from my early attempts at explanation, landlord has in effect said he will not offer beyond April 19 anyway. I will leave it there, but leave this open just in case you do read through and have a comment to make. I feel that you are a different individual from the Jamie-Law I first dealt with.....best regards...
I am the one and same. There is only me on here. But I can’t see any previous conversations. Please do remember to leave a five star rating though so the site credits me for time spent. Thanks in advance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you did say that you were on the train when I first got in touch,,hope you are home and safe now. Goodnight.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
bit concerned your system might need a looking at.... I have a whole screen of chat from 7. ish onward. SM
Back on the Train going home! Thanks in advance for the rating