How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11190
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am currently in dispute with my local council, as they

This answer was rated:

I am currently in dispute with my local council, as they have stripped my entire allotment in error, but are refusing to put it back to how it was before they decimated it. I have sent numerous emails to them about the issue and despite initial apologies and promises that my allotment would be made good, this has not happened. As a result, I have been unable to use the allotment (as the way they left the allotment made it entirely inaccessible to me as I have a severe disability). We have now received a notice from the council informing us that they are taking back the allotment and my many emails of complaint have just been ignored. Can you please advise?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Bolton, Lancashire, in the UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have met with the Council representatives, had numerous conversations with them by telephone and have sent several emails enclosing photographic evidence of the number of plants and beds that have been removed.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that this has been going on for some time and is now coming to a head

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is the cost of putting it right?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If the council were to provide materials and labour for the 8 raised beds and pathways that need to be reinstated, then there would be the cost of 30 blackcurrant bushes, 10 redcurrant bushes, 6 tayberry plants, 8 crowns of rhubarb, 20 strawberry plants, 3 blueberry plants, the contents of scented garden, a 10 year old potted fig tree, a large fuschia and a large potted mock orange tree. Additionally, there was a wooden table and bench as well as numerous pots, tarpaulin, clear plastic, etc. If you would like me to estimate a shopping list, I will attempt to do this via online shopping. I also have several emails in relation to this matter between myself, the Head of Service, his assistant and the chair of the allotment society (who originally informed me that there was a problem).

You need to get a quote to put it right. That is your loss.

You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or a refund of the cost of doing so within 14 days from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would this also cover any damages to us with regards ***** ***** insults I have faced from this man with regards ***** ***** impairment and if I should have an allotment at all?

Yes. But that claim will only be nominal.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you.