Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been advised by my solicitor to 'support a winding up

Hi I have been advised by my solicitor to 'support a winding up petition'. t
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: What does this mean precisely? Apparently it will be of no cost as its already been paid for by another creditor
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Sorry its not family law. Its a property developer who has taken deposits from quite a few of us and now appears unable to pay it back
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How much will it cost to talk to him? All I want is confirmation that my solicitor has given me the correct advice. She says that 'support' only involves letting the court know I am a creditor. I really dont want to end up responsible for something that I haven't been told about

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Being one of the many creditors who are owed money, by agreeing to support a winding up petition, what precisely am I letting myself in for? Is it purely to let the court know I am a creditor or are there any other obligations that I would be taking on when I agree my support?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
My solicitor says at the moment that I am purely letting the court know that I am one of the creditors. It is of no cost to me as the petition has already been paid for and that if any else needs to be paid for at a later date, I would be given the option of paying or not. I just want confirmation that my solicitor is giving the right advice.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Are you still online?

I assume you are not the primary creditor bringing the petition?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
although we all paid the same deposit to the property developer so are all owed the same amount back for work that he didn't do.

If you are one of many then there is no reason.

It is just supporting the petition. You are not bringing it.

As such, there is no risk for you.

You all go in the pot if they are made bankrupt.

Supporting it doesn't risk anything for you. You are not bringing the petition.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Many thanks. I will rate you now.

Thanks!