Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We are in the process of quitting a leased house. Our

We are in the process of quitting a leased house. Our contract is until end of January 2019 but the agents had informed us that we would be released early subject to a re-let. A new tenant was found and we waited until finacial checks etc were confirmed and the agents had confirmed an end date before committing elsewhere. The agents have now come back and said the other tenant has withdrawn. Given we have written (email) confirmation of an end date for our tenancy can they insist we pay until they find another tenant? It appears to us that the agents have messed up.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: What kind of paperwork? We have replied on email to the effect that given we had written confirmation of an end date we took on other commitments in good faith and therefore don't intend to pay beyond the agreed end date. They have since come back with a compromise where they will end in November and offset the fee from the other tenant, which appears to me that they know they are in a difficult position.
Assistant: Where is the house located?
Customer: Lee on Solent, Hants
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The landlords have placed the house with a second agent since this incident, and we still have some work to do on the garden (removal of a security fence we installed with permission) before handover, so they may may a big issue of the making good.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did the other tenant sign a contract?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We don't know, all we know is the agent gave us a new end date for the lease

You need to ask. In short if the tenant signed the agreement then you are released. The new tenant would be liable for rent for the entire period they signed for.

If they did not sign an agreement then sadly you are still liable.

The new agreement only takes effect once it has been signed, not before.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for clarification