Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can our landlady demolish our shed in the backyard without

Can our landlady demolish our shed in the backyard without our permission?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Crewe, Cheshire England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We received an email from the letting agency today, acting for the landlady. They informed us that the landlady wants to do some brick work in the back yard area and this will include having to demolish the shed, which we use extensively. There is no other storage. The agency apologised for not telling us but told us the work would be done anyway and they would get a quote soon. I replied that we would refuse this work as they did not inform us before we moved in, and that at the very least we expect the shed to be demolished to be replaced, or to be allowed to put our own after the work is done.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before we moved in on 27th July 2018, all the letting agency told us was that some brick work would be completed. There was no mention at all that the shed also located in the back yard would be demolished in the process. This is extremely unfair, but we would not want the landlady to start eviction procedures to get the work done, for we like the house.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Was it there before you moved in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. We moved in on 28th July 2018. We have just been informed today that the brick work they mentioned will also include the destruction of the shed in the back yard. This was not mentioned before. We have lots of stuff in the shed and nowhere else to put it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The shed was there before we moved in and was and remains one of the deciding factors to take this house.

They can’t. It was there when you moved then it’s part of the agreement. If they demolish it they will be in breach of contract.

They need to keep it in for the fixed term. If it gets demolished you can sue for breach of contract.

Any items there form part of the contract.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.