Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My former employer says that I should not talk to a current

My former employer says that I should not talk to a current employee of the firm. Are they legally allowed to do this?
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Only HR
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was employed at this firm. I am now now employer at a new firm
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Why do they not want you to talk to them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This employee is someone I fell out with and she complained to HR that I had followed her. HR said this was an error on her part but it still irks me. I would like to ask the employee, very politely, to apologise as the false accusation caused me a lot of grief/stress.

Unless you had some form of official restriction in your contract preventing such contact, which I doubt, your ex-employer cannot prevent you from contacting her. They can request that but cannot force you to. However, the employee can request that herself and ask that you do not contact her and if you ignore this and approach her, on more than one occasion, it can amount to harassment. Therefore, if you do want to clear the air, you can approach her once and if she does not reply or replies and asks you not to contact her again, I suggest you leave it, because you may just be opening up a bigger can of worms, where you could be accused of harassment.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This employee falsely accused me of waiting by the lifts for her. HR checked CCTV and knew she was wrong.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But for reasons I do not understand HR did not want to tell her this. They eventually did ~6 months later.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply.

I agree they may have handled this better but what has happened has happened and now that you have left you cannot really challenge the employer over this, so best to follow my advice above and just make one attempt, if you decide to do anything at all