Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was just wondering for copying the individual's personal

I was just wondering for copying the individual's personal photo as a pencil drawing. Would this be legal because the owner of the photo has allowed me to copy it and because the time I'm putting into the drawing that I can sell it.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm currently living in Yeovil, Somerset
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have received a photo off my friend in black and white, I have drawn it and completed and he is wishing to pay for it and allowed to put a price on it which was reasonable to the work ive put in which was £40. He has agreed with it because of the quality but he mentioned tht I should make a business and thats when the questions started flooding in. I like to pursue this but not knowing is dangerous, which the whole copyright came into mind etc
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all I can think of. I would like to do this properly

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

I am not quite with you. Are you asking if you are breaching copyright of the image?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
My friend has allowed me to copy one of his photos as a drawing in pencil. It turned out pretty good and he said he will pay for it at a price of 40 pounds. Ive not got any further than that. Just wondering whether it is illegal for me to receive his money for the drawing.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
will i have to switch to a phone call?

On what basis would you have to pay £40?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
that was the price in which I thought was worth for the drawing and that based on the time to complete it. And my friend agreed with the price in which I offered to him. There is just another caveat that I have other people that are interested (to have their personal photos drawn) and I don't know how to go about it. ie, can I do this free lance or do I have to have a recognised business to receive an income.

You can do this. When you create a drawing it is your work. Even if it is from someone else’s photo. They can’t stop you doing it.

So yes you can do it without fear. It is not a problem. It is your own work.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thats great! No thank you very much for the feedback jamie

pleasure