12826847

I have received a PCN for entering a bus lane in Cheltenham

Hi, I have received a PCN for entering a bus lane in Cheltenham however the road marking is a bus gate (a term I am not familiar with) Should I challenge on this basis?
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No, Ive just recieved the notice
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Gloucester county council with a contact of gloucestershire apcoa
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I'm sorry I don't want to call but would like a reply to my previous answer

Sorry but I'm not sure what your challenge is?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
The fact that the PCN states a bus lane but the street is actually marked as a bus gate

Were there signs at the location?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Bus gate is stated on the road

Yes but were there signs as well as road markings?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I'm not sure, I can only find a similar view on google maps and I don't live in the area so I'm not sure

Obviously I haven't seen the location and you can always appeal these things. Local councils are hopelessly inefficient. However bus lanes are fairly well signed. Usually there are signs upon entry throughout and upon exit. There are also road markings. The fact that they describe "bus gate" rather than bus lane would not, in and of itself, be sufficiently confusing to justify entry.

The test with arguments like this is weather the signing is so inadequate as to lead to confusion and if it was visible then I think you would struggle to raise that argument.

That said, there is really no risk in bringing an informal appeal because they will extend the 14 day reduction anyway even if they reject your appeal so you may as well try.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thanks for the advice Jo, I'll chance an appeal and see how I get on. Many thanks

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/