How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3366
Type Your Law Question Here...
is online now

My daughter has had a non fault accident in her Citroen c1.

This answer was rated:

My daughter has had a non fault accident in her Citroen c1. The other driver has accepted liability but the problems started when we tried to insure her new car I bought her, a Vauxhall Corsa. Hastings say the black box she currently has which is self installed wont work with the Corsa. They'll need to send an engineer out to install a box on the Corsa which puts the Corsa on a different policy. Apparently they only changed the rules to what cars there black boxes will fit or not two weeks ago so you have know idea what cars they will or wont insure. Problem now though is even though it wasn't her fault they've took the 400.00 0f the 1400.00 she was offered for the wrote off Citroen to pay the remaining 6 months cover which was originally 700.00. To start a new policy they want 1600.00 for the Corsa. All she wanted to do was transfer the Corsa on to her old policy and carry on the remaining 6 months of cover. My issue is now, one, she has to pay the full balance of her policy even though it wasn't her fault leaving her 400.00 short. Two, she gain 6 months no claims giving her two and a half years but because she needs a new policy she is back at two years. Three, she is now paying 1600.00 for new policy and the 400.00 for her old policy. All this because a third party hit her, I go out and buy her the Corsa which hastings wont insure because it takes a different black box. Under the circumstances I really thought hastings would of insured her Corsa for the remaing 6 months on the original policy rather than hit us with the way they have.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I said I will write a letter of complaint to them but they say i'm wasting my time. I said if the reply is negative I will contact an insurance ombudsman to let them decide who is right or wrong. That's why i'm on this site now to try and get a heads up to what might happen
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's pretty much the story so far

Hello, thank you for the question.

I am a UK qualified solicitor and happy to help.

You can complain the insurer and then escalate to the Ombudsman if the insurer decision does not help you.

In terms of liability, with it being accepted by the driver, you could try and and sue for the cost of the increased costs you face as this is a direct consequence of the accident. I am unsure if the claim has settled?. If not you have 6 years to bring the claim to the court from the date of the accident to claim the loss.

Going back to the ombudsman, they will liaise with Hastings and see if they can persuade them to agree to not charging you what they are. If that fails, this would mean you either change insurer or pay for the costs with Hastings and then sue the driver for the extra costs incurred.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a star rating (there should be a row of 1-5 stars at the top of your screen to allow you to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That’s good advice. Many thanks

No problems, I'd be grateful if you would accept and give me a rating for my time.

Have a good day,


Jim1079 and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you