How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72743
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Jo, My name’s Amit Patel. I keep getting named in a criminal

This answer was rated:

Hi Jo,My name’s Amit Patel. I keep getting named in a criminal case in Middlesborough where a pharmacist is on trial for murdering his wife. I have not been questioned or investigated by police. Is there anything I can do to stop my name coming up when I have nothing to do with the murder?
Also is there a chance I could get dragged into it as an accessory or something?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. In what way is your name coming up in relation to the trial/ investigation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Peter, the prosecution is alleging that the pharmacist killed his wife for life insurance to come and live with me in Australia. So daily to hammer it home to the jury “Dr Amit Patel in Sydney” is mentioned.

OK. I have had a note from Jo to say she is online and wishes to assist you and as you addressed your question to her I'm going to opt out for her to pick up. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Sorry for the interruption.

Why are you being named?

Is it untrue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been involved with the accused but I am not involved with the murder. I am just one of many men he has been involved with when cheating on his wife.

in what context are you being named though?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As part of his motive

Thank you.

The Crown are entitled to do that. There is no way of preventing that.

If their allegations are untrue or the motive is overstated then I suppose you could give evidence for the defence to that effect but you cannot stop the Crown relying upon that motive and naming you.

I'm very sorry but this is just not prohibited.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72743
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No that’s fine

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile