How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3366
Type Your Law Question Here...
is online now

Assistant: How can I help? The housing association in whose

This answer was rated:

Good morning
Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: The housing association in whose property I live, disclosed personal information about me to a tenant with whom there has been on-going harassment, stalking and verbal abuse
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: the police have now served a second family member there with a harassment warning
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer:*****Cadogan Street London SW£ 2PE SW3 2PE
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The tenant then accosted me when I was with two of my small children and accused me of lying to the housing association regarding my whereabouts
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I am a UK qualified solicitor and happy to help.

In relation to the disclosure of personal information, I would contact the Information Commissioner' Office on 0303(###) ###-####to see if they agree the housing association have breached your rights under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). If so, you can sue the housing association for compensation and they would also be fined by the commissioner's office for the breach too.

Regarding the harassment by the tenant, you should report this to the Police on the 101 number as by the sounds of it, this sounds like serious harassment to include the stalking and abuse. Check if the Police can help. If they say this is a civil matter, you need to apply to Central London County Court for an injunction.

You will need to complete the attached form N16A and send to your county court with a fee of £150 payable to HMCTS (unless you are in receipt of benefits in which case you can get a fee exemption so you do not have to pay). You can pay either by cheque or attend the court and pay at the counter.

The court will list a hearing where you attend and ask the District Judge for an order and the injunction against the tenant. The application would be made under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If granted, the Order is then served on the individual concerned and they are bound by the court order - if they breach the order, they are in contempt of court and could well face a fine and a prison term.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a star rating (there should be a row of 1-5 stars at the top of your screen to allow you to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THank you so much. A lot of really useful information. The police have given the harassment warning. Can I still go ahead with getting an injunction?
Also, I have already called the ICO and the Housing Ombudsman. They both said there was a breach.

Yes, the civil injunction is totally separate to the Police matter.

If there has been a breach, I would write to the housing association and ask for damages - there is no set rule on damages yet as GDPR is very new but the level should reflect the seriousness of the breach - which is serious because you are being harassed by that tenant. I would write to the association and suggest a figure of say, £10,000 and if they do not pay, you can sue them. Let me know if you want help writing a letter to them. You can sue them online at and if you are in receipt of benefits, you can get a fee remission from having to pay the court issue fee.

If you can accept the answer and give me a rating, I would be grateful.

Kind regards,


Jim1079 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you