Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I recently starting renting with my partner and the fridge

Hello, i recently starting renting with my partner and the fridge in the kitchen is not working and it hasn't been sorted, its been looked at and we know what the problem is but the company who are trying to fix it have to wait for a part to be delivered before they can come back and fix it. i was wondering if we could get compensation from the estate agents or landlord for this?
Assistant: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: where are who?
Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: the estate agents have got a company to come round and look at the fridge to work out the problem but he stated that it needed a new part which had to be ordered. he said he'll be back within a few days but its been a week and apparently the part still hasnt arrived
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is it you want to know?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
my fridge is not working properly in the flat ive just started renting, ive contacted the estate agents and they sent someone to come look at it. the man worked out what the problem was but had to order a part for the fridge to be fixed but apparently the part still hasnt arrived and this was a week ago. I was wondering if im entitled to any compensation from the landlord or estate agents for taking so long to fix the fridge?

Yes. You can sue for loss and damage.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
who do i take to court if i wish to do so?

Landlord. That is who your contract is with.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
but what if they are not in this country? and what details would we have to provide with the court?

The name and address. If they are not in the uk that is not your problem. The agents should notify them of proceedings.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
would we have to provide our contract or the inventory to the court? and would we need legal representation at court as well?

Not to issue the claim. If it is defended then yes.

You don’t need legal representation as if it’s a small claim generally it can’t be recovered as a cost.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
that helps a lot. so if we issue the claim against the landlord and then only if it goes through will we have to provide our contract and inventory? and none of this concerns the estate agents even though everything goes through them?

Correct. You do not have a contract with the agent, only landlord

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
that's all very helpful, thank you so much

Pleasure.

You only rated 4 stars, what could I have done better?