Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Morning. How can I legally get out of a tenency gurantor

Morning. How can I legally get out of a tenency gurantor agreement? My wife and I separated in Sept 2017, and agreed to be the guarantor for her rental property and again when she renewed it in Sept 18, but I also continue to pay for the finance on her car. I have told her I can no longer afford to pay this and she is threatening that if I stop paying for the car she will stop paying the rent. I just want to be free from her control and not be blackmailed.
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No yet. I have started the process with an online divorce solicitors and the next step is to send of my marriage certificate and pay the court fee along with the D8 paperwork.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in Colchester, Essex, England.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I already pay maintenence of £700 a month to keep a roof over my daughters head, and the car I'm paying off is £325 a month.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Is the landlord willing to release you?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I do not know yet. I'd have to write to him or her.

Ok. Only if the Landlord agrees to release you can you be.

Sadly if your ex is there then you are liable. There is no way of released until the landlord releases you.

That is the only way

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thanks. it possible due to the tenants increased salary they they no longer need a guarantor?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
39;Is it' possible...
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello?

You can ask, but the landlord can say no.

It is up to them.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No thanks. I'm contacting the Landlord. Thank you.

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.