,
97337639
is online now

Can Software be sold in UK when a part of it has been

Can Software be sold in UK when a part of it has been disabled by the manufacturer and who has not informed the retailers of the fact?
Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Adobe's Lightroom version 6 - it is a photographic editing platform which is on sale online and in high street shops.
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I have check the manufacturer's website - it states their intention that from 1st dec the disablement has taken place. Also I visited my local ***** ***** store and had it confirmed they are still selling it for £119 and they knew nothing about the disablement of any sections of the software
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of

Hello, thank you for the question.

I am a UK qualified solicitor and happy to help.

Are you asking whether you can obtain a refund or is it more of a general question of the legality of selling the software?

Jim

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
more of a general question of the legality of selling the software
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I can not warrant the expense of £43 to discuss over phone. Just need to know your object first thoughts please

I see, the answer is that if the seller knows the product is not fit for purpose, this is in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, so they would open themselves up to refunds on every sale.

It would also be a Trading Standards issue as the seller is trying to sell an item and make a profit on something which they know is unfit for purpose, so I would say Trading Standards could prosecute the seller too.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating, I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,

Jim

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
i cannot see how to accept your answer which I certainly do

Hi there, I think there is a button to click for the acceptance?.

That's worked, many thanks, ***** ***** good day