How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3768
Type Your Law Question Here...
is online now

I am currently paying full rent and licing in a hoise that

This answer was rated:

I am currently paying full rent and licing in a hoise that goes against building regulations with no thermostat and with only one fire alarm that doesnt work and no fire alarms downstairs. We havent had a working shower since we moved in and there is a damp/mould problem in the property and radiators leaking boiling water. We have asked for the past four months for these issues to be fixed and a rent reduction until then and our landlord says he is only foxing the shower and he will not reduce the rent for the time we havent been able to wash in our own house.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Complained and reported this issues in writing lots of times to the letting agent
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: And written a letter of complaint

Hello, thank you for the question.

I am a UK qualified solicitor and happy to help.

I presume you have not notified the environmental health department at your local council of all these housing issues?. If not I would ring Manchester City Council as soon as possible and ask them to inspect the property. They can carry out emergency works and can bill the landlord (and fine them too).

By law, landlords must provide heating and hot running water to the property. If they do not, they face prosecution by the local council and can be fined. If for some reason the council cannot help, you would either have the option of paying it yourself and withholding rent (not applicable here as you have already paid), or to instruct a heating engineer to come out and fix the problem and you then pursue the landlord for the money.

If the landlord does not pay or if they refuse for whatever reason, you can sue them in the county court for your losses on the money claim site ( although I recommend sending the landlord a letter before action to warn them of your intentions first and allow them 14 days to reimburse you. If they do not reimburse, you are free to issue a claim.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating, I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


Jim1079 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you