How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3681
Type Your Law Question Here...
is online now

I have a neighbour who constantly stares at me. Assistant:

This answer was rated:

I have a neighbour who constantly stares at me.
Assistant: Where is your neighbor? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He resides at no.10 Ryland road, Welton. I live at no.8 in the same road.
Assistant: What steps has your neighbor taken so far?
Customer: We have had the local PCSO involved with this dispute. He continues to stare at me when ever the opportunity arises. He had been staring in to our property. We have now put up screening so that he can't see in. He now walks past our property and if I am outside or even in the window he will stare. He maintains his gaze fir some time and it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know what the harrassment laws are and what I can do to prevent him from continuing to do this.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I am a UK qualified lawyer and happy to help.

This is a classic case of harassment where "harassment" is defined under the legislation as conduct designed to cause alarm or distress (Protection from Harassment Act 1997).

You can apply to your local county court for an order and injunction against the individual if they continue to cause problems.

You will need to complete the attached form N16A and send to your county court with a fee of £175 payable to HMCTS (unless you are in receipt of benefits in which case you can get a fee exemption so you do not have to pay). You can pay either by cheque or attend the court and pay at the counter. If the injunction application is successful you can ask for repayment of the fee from the individual.

The court will list a hearing where you attend and ask the District Judge for an order and the injunction against the neighbour. As above, the application would be made under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If granted, the Order is then served on the individual concerned and they are bound by the court order - if they breach the order, they are in contempt of court and could well face a fine and a prison term.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating, I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


Jim1079 and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Jim I will look into this. I would like the back up of a Police officer & PCSO who have been involved.