How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16763
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am a landlord and on of the tenant has abandoned my

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord and on of the tenant has abandoned my property for two months and has not paid rent. I have being going there for more than five occassion and have letters with no response. I have also spoken to the neighbours and no one has seen her. Her housing benefit has been cancelled as the council had wrote to her for over two months requesting more information with no response. Some of her item are in the property but no sign of anyone living there. I am concern that the pipes and other material at the property might begin to rot couple with the fact that she has not paid me any rent for over two month. I have informed the council who placed her at my property and they are unable to contact her and believe she has abandoned the place. I had also written to her giving her 28days which is stipulated in her agreement that I will enter the property if its left vacant and she got no response. Please advise if I should now go in and take charge of the property to avoid any futher structural or plumbing.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: As I stated I have written to her over four times and with absolutely no response.
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Its in central London, N1 7TE, under Hackney Council
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

If you are unsure about claiming that a tenant has surrendered the property you can place an Abandonment Notice on the door of the property. This Notice needs to advise that the property has been deemed as abandoned and give a time – say five days – after which the locks will be changed if no contact is received.

The Notice will require the tenant to contact the Landlord within a set period of time, for example 14 days, for a new set of keys for the new locks. Once that period has lapsed, it is then possible to claim vacant possession.

Again extreme caution must be taken as claiming abandonment is still a grey area. Abandonment can only be assumed from the tenant leaving the property, taking their possessions and handing in the keys. However as the surrender of the property is implied from the same actions, an Abandonment Notice may be unnecessary.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your prompt response. Just to be clarify I will place the Abandonment Notice today on the front today and will change the locks after 5days if no response is received. I also intend to keep all her possession in a locked garage for the time being. Hope this is OK.


Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's absolutely fine. Just to note I was instructed by Brent House to put a note over two weeks on the door requesting that she contact me asap and that I will be returning at a fixed date & time which I did but no one was there and the note is still there. Do I still need to put another notice or would this surfice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant Brent Council not House who place her at the property

If you have evidence of the previous one, that is fine.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you