Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I received a written quote for licences from our Account

i received a written quote for licences from our Account Manager at a software company which I queried as it seemed lower than previous costs. The Account Manager confirmed it was wrong but said she would 'stand by' the quote. This is now a few month's on, the Account Manager has left and the software company is saying they will not honour the quote, which i have in an email. Does the email constitute a binding agreement? It was queried and accepted, the person was authorised to provide a quote and acknowledged they would honour even though there was a mistake on their part.
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I'm in HR but it has not been discussed with a lawyer yet.
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I'm senior in HR but this isn't an employment question - it's about a supplier of software. Is it something you are able to help with please?
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only to be connected to someone who would know about whether this could be argued as a legitimate quote for costs as there is a significant difference in what they would like to charge us compared to the quote in their original email please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a copy of the email trail if that helps. I tried to attache it but i don't think it worked, sorry!

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Have they said why they called it a quote if it wasn’t?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jamie, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I will try to attach the second part of the email trail and would like advise as to whether the original email giving the price of licences is binding and if i could rely on it being a valid agreement to offer licences at that price.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Second part of email:

Yes the email is binding. The fact they honoured the price shows this. Otherwise they would simply say you had It wrong.

But the email clearly says I will stand by the price I quoted you.

So yes, this is a contract in law. If they messed up the the price, that is not your fault.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.