Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I bought a car that is not fit for purpose, i have requested

I bought a car that is not fit for purpose, i have requested a refund and the trader is reluctant until i have the car checked. There have been numerous problems with it since the day i bought it.
Assistant: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: I live in Corby, i purchased the car in Peterborough in August
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I returned the car for it to be repaired twice, it has had a head gasket failure and gearbox replaced so major work, but the head gasket still has problems and the gearbox is worse than before. I have asked for my money back and have been in contact with Citizens advice & Trading standards
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The garage asked me to lie to the warranty company for them to pay up for the work.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

How much was it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was initially £4999 reduced to £4970 and i made a cash deal at £4500 + £185 for 12 moth warranty.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods must be fit for purpose, as described and of suitable quality

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No that is all thank you for your answer.