Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I care across with a clamp on my car ( I was driving it but

Hi. I care across with a clamp on my car ( I was driving it but not the registered owner )today. Then a bailiff called and asked me to pay immediately of 880 , otherwise they will take the car away. I was shocked and looked through their website, they said the fine is due to enforcement charges and other admin fees, and some parking ticket. I said I am unable to pay such fee in such short time, and your website allows me to pay on agreement with installation . But the bailiff refuses the offer and says it is on his discretion only . And he said if I don’t pay in the next hour they will come and take the car away immediately. So I called a friend of mine and he said no worries , those bailiff try to rip off people all the times , so he came and use something cut off the clamp and told me it is ok to go. This is a civil matter you can deal with the JBW bailiff later . I am wondering what might happen next?
Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: London
Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not sure . I don’t know yet
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Did your friend free the car and return the clamp to the bailiff? Was this private land?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think its public road . And he took it away, don’t know if he returns it

Please check that carefully because I don’t think it can be a public road. Bailiffs don’t usually have any jurisdiction. Come back to me when you’ve checked all of that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He clamped the car on Victoria road side , where the parking line drew. And public pavement just aside of it . I am sure it is public land. Two way traffic all the time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the street view. My car was where the car parked

Can you let me see the paperwork?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was left in the car . Can I send u tomorrow ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is exactly look like this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a phone number and name
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
65311;

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you have an outstanding Court Judgment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m not sure . Might do . I move a lot...
Have you spoken to the company and asked? Note it may be the morning when I reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Yes I did. They said they had some sort of court orders something I didn’t get it clearly . I believe it was tickets and congestion charges .

Have you asked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he had some court warrant something f
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or court order

Ok. Then it is legal to clamp.

They are High Court enforcement agents. If there is a CCJ over £600 it can be transferred to the High Court.

These sheriffs are legally allowed to clamp. They are COMMANDED by the High Court to collect.
What is it you want to ask me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said it would be a CcJ if I don’t pay. My question is , since my friend cut the clamp and let me go. What could be happened to me ? Since they have no proof anything was done by me , it is simply the car they clamped is gone. How it would affect me ? Would they call the police or what is likely be their next step?

It could be criminal damage. If you knew he was going to do it, then you could be charged too.

I dont know if they will call the Police. If they know it was removed then yes, they could.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could very well give you a five star rate no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if they go for police , will I receive a court ticket or police will come to arrest me ?

Yes they could, in theory.

But I have no idea if they will go to the Police.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know they might go for police .my question is , will I receive a letter to attend the court or will the police just come knock my door without notice ?

It could be either

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if they charge , will they charge the owner of the car or the driver on the insurance ? Since they are not the same person

They will charge you and the person who took the clamp off

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I can prove the clamp was took off without my knowledge ? Since they can’t prove otherwise ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am saying this because you are a lawyer and what I said to you is protected right ?

No, we do not have a client lawyer relationship as this is an online only service.

But they would have to prove you knew.

If your friend who took it off is prepared to take 100% of the blame, then you are ok.

But he would need to explain how he knew it was clamped and why he took it off.

But your friend can take 100% blame, yes.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. How do I know if they went for police or not ? Can I check via some route? Like in the us I can check if there is a warrant on me ?

You don't know. There is no way to check.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then . If anything comes up I will let you know . Thanks for your time and patience

Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have already rated five star
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is at the bottom of the screen

Oh yes you did, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Great