Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I made arrangements to return a leased vehicle on December

I made arrangements to return a leased vehicle on December 31 through the finance company. the finance company uses a third party logistics company to collect and inspect the car. I was booked on what turned out to be a non working day for the logistics company now my insurance is due to run out and the car tax as well. Am i obligated to re-insure and purchase additional tax because these companies cannot get their act together? do i have legal rights.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did they not turn up on 31/12?
Was this appointment agreed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No they did not show up. the appointment was confirmed in writing by the logistics company

Who is named on the V5?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have sent the V5 back to the finance company but I am the registered keeper

Then you are liable. Otherwise if you do not then the registered keeper can be fined.

So yes, insurance it short term ie a month. Tax it. But then seek to recover those costs back from the lease co or deduct from your final payment.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if i park it in a garage and notify the DVLA that it is off the road?

You can SORN it, but can’t use it.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i would not intend to use it. that may be my only bargaining position with the logistics company to get them to hurry up and collect the car. thank you for your help

Pleasure.