,
97337639
is online now

I hope so. Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws

Hello - I hope so.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I paid off a CCJ within 1 month and received a letter of satisfaction from the court. Now the Plaintiffs solicitor is saying that I owe them money for enforcement costs.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The judgement was on 3 Dec, I paid Plaintiff on 24 Dec I received Certificate of satisfaction on 28 Dec. Plaintiff contacted me by email acknowledging funds. Now plaintiff solicitors are asking for money for High Court Enforcement (When I called their solicitors after receipt of enforcement notice dated 03 Jan they were unaware that I had paid their client).

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

I would recommend you oppose the enforcement costs. If you paid the CCJ, presumably this was the county court not the high court although claimants can transfer CCJ's to the high court for enforcement and make use of the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers. However, you told the claimant on 3rd December of the payment and they should then have informed their solicitors to prevent unnecessary costs. Normally enforcement costs are claimable and added to the existing debt but those costs are the claimant's here because they failed to inform their solicitors. With the festive period there would also have been some delay with correspondence and so forth but I would nevertheless challenge the further costs. If they try to sue for those, you can defend the claim on the basis you paid the judgment within the 30 day period and place blame on the claimant for delaying the communication of the settlement.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,

Jim