How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3768
Type Your Law Question Here...
is online now

EDF energy took over my gas account in error, I though I was

This answer was rated:

EDF energy took over my gas account in error, I though I was paying swalec gas through d/d as I had been for over 30 years, only realised I wasn't paying when I wanted to compare gas prices, after in evestigating I found EDF energy had my account, they have billed me for 2 years gas , but have given me a reduction, but still say I owe for a year which they have billed me for£1500, I have got no contact with them and it is their error , do I still have to pay bill?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Rang them to complain, they admitted it's their fault, but I've still got to pay, they have logged my complain.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This has caused me distress, I was really worried when I realised I hadn't been paying for my gas, I've had many sleepless nights.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

They admitted their error and you do not have to pay for this - I would therefore reject any payment to them. I would also threaten to report them their regulator, Ofgem, if they continue to chase you for the payment or threaten to sue you. If they did try to sue, you can easily defend the claim on the basis they made an error and you should not to pay for their error. If they sued then you would receive a claim form and a response pack from the court - the response pack has to be completed and you indicate your intention to defend the claim (there is a tick box so is easy to do).

The first step is report this to the energy regulator and you can do that here :

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


Jim1079 and 7 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

No problems, have a good day and let me know if you need further help