How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3768
Type Your Law Question Here...
is online now

I have a problem with Sky as a direct debit claimed from my

This answer was rated:

I have a problem with Sky as a direct debit claimed from my bank account for 4 years after I ceased having service from them and moved to Virgin. After contacting my bank (Lloyds) about what had happened they informed me that the month that I began dealing with Virgin there was no payment claimed by Skye. This to me implies that infact they were told by my now deceased partner that we were moving from them. The following month and every month from there on they claimed payment as though they were still providing. My bank claimed the £2700 from Sky on my behalf for which I was grateful, but then Sky have come back and are requiring that I pay it back to them. Can they do that?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Bedfordshire
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've tried to talk to Sky but if I try to phone as an existing account holder they ask for my post code and name and then wont speak to me until I arrange to make repayment. I went in as a new customer and got to speak to someone there
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This person told me that I had upset them and should have made a complaint. I tried to do that through Resolver and the email was returned I now have a debt collectors letter

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Once you left, the contract ended and as such Sky have been taking payments illegally (or by mistake), despite the fact no contract existed once you left. You do not owe them anything and I would report them to their regulator, Ofcom. You can do that at their site as follows

If they nevertheless try to sue you, the court will send you a claim form and response pack - you just need to fill in the response pack. There is a tick box to confirm you want to defend the claim. It would be a small claim too so there is no risk of legal costs if you lost. It would also be easy to deal with yourself and you would not need a lawyer either.

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Kind regards,


Jim1079 and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My problem is that inspite of the month at the end of their contract when the direct debit was not claimed, Sky are still saying that we didn't contact them to cancel, and that the only contact they had was that Virgin told them about taking over the telephone but not the whole package. I cannot get to them to put this arguement.
So Are you saying then that I should ignore the debt collectors letter and let them take it to court?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no doubt as to the true value of your advice but am not that high in money at present so will decline your offer thank you and will try ofcom