Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I’ve used the services of a photographer for my business for

Hi, I’ve used the services of a photographer for my business for the last 7 years. There is no written contract, one hasn’t been in place for 3 or 4 years.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The agreement is 3 photo shoots per month for £900. Therefore 36 shoots a year. I’ve had 14 shoots this year and paid so far £9900, work done equates to £4200, so I’ve over paid by £5700, not asking for that money back, but she’s demanding I pay another month in lieu of notice. sorry I’m in the UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We’ve just met and chatted, I refused to pay another £900, she s obviously left meeting very angry
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that’s it, thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

But there is no contract to give notice?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Exactly. There was, but we haven’t drawn up a contract for the last few years. Just verbally
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ve effectively overpaid by £5700 over last 11 months. I don’t feel I should pay anymore. I’m not asking for the overpayment back either

I would agree. There was no written contract so no notice period is requited.

Unless a verbal notice agreement was agreed, then you do not need to give one.

You have overpaid.

So no notice period is required.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much. That’s all perfectly straight forward. Of course I’ll rate you. Have a great weekend. Jenny

Pleasure