How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35436
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Assistant: How can I help? I am having domestic issue with

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am having domestic issue with my boyfriend. We live together since last month and the situation escalating over this week.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wakefield
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: West Yorkshirw
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My concern is that myself and my boyfriend signed a contract with letting agency for six months.


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not feel save to cohabitat with him any longer and I would like to know what my rights are in this situation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I cancel the contract due to the raised issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I cancel the contract due to the raised issue?

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. Firstly you are liable jointly the rent.The abuse is not a reason to cancel the contract unless the landlord agrees. If he is being abusive then you an apply to the court to have him removed from the property.

You can apply to the court for a non molestation and occupation order to keep him away from you and the property. You may also be eligible for legal aid to make such an application. Injunctions are there to offer you protection from your abuser. They are court orders that require someone to do (or not do) something in particular. The two main injunction types available under Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996 are:

  • A non-molestation order - prevents your partner, former partner or associated person from being violent or threatening violence towards you or any children. It also prevents intimidation, harassment and pestering (including in-person or remotely by letter, email, phone or social media) so as to ensure your - and your children's - safety.
  • An occupation order - defines who can live in the family home. It can also prevent your abuser from being in the surrounding area. You can also get an occupation order if you have left home because of violent behaviour but want to return without your abuser living there.

Under recent changes to the law, breaching a non-molestation order is now a criminal offence and a power of arrest is automatically attached to the injunction, meaning your abuser can be arrested simply for breaching the injunction without needing to have committed any other criminal activity. The Order is filed with the Police so they are aware of the power of arrest and can exact it should any breach arise. Please rate 5 stars

Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks​

ivorylounge and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you