Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

In August I signed a new tenancy agreement for my rent

In August I signed a new tenancy agreement for my rent increase (I felt like I had no option) (I genuinely forgot to get it witnessed). Over New Year there was a fire in my courtyard (not started by me), my landlord was rude and dismissive on the phone, I couldn't stay at the flat for a few days, when I returned he started verbally attaking me and because I am so scared I handed ina month's notice and paid the months rent. I've just received a letter from him stating that he understands I am vacating on 31 Jan but I'm liable for the rent until end of March, can he do this?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I haven't spoken to a solicitor yet, that's why I was contacting you. I live in the UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Just the one's detailed in the original message.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before you connect me, is this advise free?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there anyone there? I seem to have been waiting a while.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there anyway that the landlord can make me pay rent until 31 March?

When did you sign the new agreement and for how long?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a new agreement due to the rent increase which was from 1 October, but there is no date on the Tenancy. Agreement.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The landlord didn't fill the date in.

Does it say min term 6 months?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does say 6 months but it doesn't say when it starts from.

Ok - but you paid increase rent from the date agreed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yep, I did. So does that mean he can force me to stay until 31 March even though I'm scared of him?

That is a problem.

Because even if it wasn't signed, if it went to Court a Judge would look to see when you paid increase rent.

Technically you are liable for rent until the end of March.
But if you think the Landlord has breached the contract you can move out.

Do not tell the Landlord where you are going.

Just claim breach of contract and leave.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
shall I just write back to him and I'm paying until 31 Jan and state breach of contract (what constitutes the breach?).
I'll leave a rating.

Yes.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does. But if I say breach of contract, what do I say constitutes the breach?

His behaviour

Does that assist?