How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Miles Bentley Your Own Question
Miles Bentley
Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 899
Experience:  BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
Type Your Law Question Here...
Miles Bentley is online now

I am in private renting and would like to end my tenancy

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am in private renting and would like to end my tenancy early
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No nothing
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: Peterborough
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the house could be classed as unfit to live in, but not too sure

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I would like to end my private tenancy early - the bathroom has mould which I have shown the estate agent around 6 weeks ago and I have heard nothing back, and I feel the building is too cold to live in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am viewing some properties tomorrow and would like to know if I can even leave early
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to learn of your situation.
I am a Qualified Solicitor with over 19 Years experience in the UK.

Unfortunately, you can not simply release yourself from a Tenancy for the reasons under the circumstances you describe.

If you up and leave, then the Landlord will be able to hold you responsible for the remainder of the Rent under the Tenancy as you will be deemed to have Breach the Tenancy Agreement.

The Landlord will in all likelihood be successful in obtaining a Monetary Judgment against you from the Courts, which the Landlord will no doubt progress to Enforcement.

If you can negotiate your way out and agree to say a Deed Surrender (of the tenancy) that would be ideal but I anticipate unlikely.

I note, that there appears to be Disrepair at the Property, this may assist you in vacating the property tactically.

You need to formally write a Letter and demand that the Landlord rectify the Disrepair within 20 days or take suitable steps to do so.

If the Landlord fails to do so, you can make a Housing Disrepair Claim, if the Disrepair will cost more than £1,000 to rectify, then you could instruct a ""No win No Fee" Housing Disrepair Solicitor to pursue a Disrepair Claim against the Landlord.

A quick browser search on the Internet with the term "No win No Fee Housing Disrepair Solicitor" should do the trick. Do not use a Claims Management Company ,they are just middlemen, use a Solicitors Firm Authorised and regulated by the SRA.

The Landlord may be more amicable and ready to negotiate your way out of the Tenancy Agreement settlement if there is a potential Disrepair Claim against the Landlord.

I hope that assist.

Please leave a Positive Rating, so that JustAnswer credits me for my time

Many thanks

Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 899
Experience: BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
Miles Bentley and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

You are most Welcome.