How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My brother has put my mother's contact details as a

This answer was rated:

My brother has put my mother's contact details as a secondary when he rented a flat , without her knowledge. He has now rung up over £1000 in unpaid rent, and the landlord has spoken to my mother to seek repayment
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: My mother never knew about this arrangement. So my question is, is she liable for my brother's rental debt?
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: He is living in Essex.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've summed it up. This has placed enormous stress on my mother.

Thanks for your question. If you mother hasn’t signed any form of rental agreement or personal guarantee the landlord has no legal basis for asking for repayment. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.

JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you