31090051

My brother has put my mother's contact details as a

My brother has put my mother's contact details as a secondary when he rented a flat , without her knowledge. He has now rung up over £1000 in unpaid rent, and the landlord has spoken to my mother to seek repayment
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: My mother never knew about this arrangement. So my question is, is she liable for my brother's rental debt?
Assistant: Where is the flat located?
Customer: He is living in Essex.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've summed it up. This has placed enormous stress on my mother.

Thanks for your question. If you mother hasn’t signed any form of rental agreement or personal guarantee the landlord has no legal basis for asking for repayment. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for my time.