How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12515
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

A “friend” owes me £350 from 4 years ago, and has

This answer was rated:

A “friend” owes me £350 from 4 years ago, and has forgotten/relied on it being awkward to bring up when I’ve seen him. When I have brought it up, he’s given me a barrage of excuses. It’s now escalated to a point that I’ve decided he’s not getting away with it, as a matter of principle. After ignoring my texts and phone calls, we did have a text exchange, and he was very rude, saying I’ve lost the plot, and he will pay me back when he can. I’ve heard this before, which is why I’m now seeking your advice.
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He’s gone through a messy divorce, and moved to a new address, which I tracked down, and confronted him, which he was surprised by, but still fobbed me off with lame excuses.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He’s an alcoholic in my view, and I expect he has no intention of paying me back.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days from the date the letter was sent in the post, or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
In the case of my claim being legitimate, is he liable for the costs incurred in the case, and can I claim for interest on the loan, not that this was agreed at the time, as it was a gentleman’s agreement.

Yes he is liable for costs and interest at 8% per year under the county court act 1984

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks. It’s not a large sum of money, but the principle, and he’s behaved incredibly badly in my view. Is there any case for emotional distress, and the amount of effort I’ve made in trying to get the debt repaid?

no. It’s a civil debt.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just to clarify, this service has cost me £5., and it’s a 7 day trial. Do I need to opt out within that time to avoid being automatically subscribed to the service?

I don’t know, I only see questions.

It’s usually a one off fee unless you have subscrbed.

Does that assist ?

Jamie-Law and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help, I just hope the T&C’s here don’t tie me into stuff I haven’t bargained for.

No they do not.