How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3390
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I want to get parental responsibility for my husband for my

This answer was rated:

I want to get parental responsibility for my husband for my 7 year old daughter but what if my ex partner (her biological father) disagrees?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No not yet I’m worried about my ex’s response he’s not the most helpful or understanding person
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I think it would be Portsmouth magistrates court
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If my ex does disagree can I continue without his agreement

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Does she have contact with her biological father?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but I’ve been advised my social services to review that contact as it may be emotional harming her
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry by not my

OK. So, obviously biological parents have PR.

Currently a step-parent can acquire Parental Responsibility for a child in very specific circumstances, including:

  • When the Court makes a Child Arrangements Order that the child lives with the step-parent either on their own or with another person. However these types of ‘step-parent’ Orders are uncommon
  • When the step-parent adopts a child which puts him/her in the same position as a birth parent
  • Through the signing of a Parental Responsibility Agreement to which all the other people with Parental Responsibility consent (see below for more information)
  • When the Court has made a Parental Responsibility Order following an application by the step-parent. On acquiring Parental Responsibility, a step-parent has the same duties and responsibilities as a biological parent.

If her biological dad is having contact still, it will be more difficult to make the case for this though.

plclegal and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her biological father has agreed to my husband getting parental responsibility but he’s also prone to changing his mind

OK, so this is the further information you need:

How to Get Responsibility Agreement as a Step-Parent

There are two criteria to obtaining Parental Responsibility by agreement:

Firstly you must be married to the biological parent with whom the child lives.

Secondly you must have the signed consent of every person with Parental Responsibility for the child. This means that if the other parent of the child is living and has Parental Responsibility, he/she must agree to you acquiring Parental Responsibility and must co-operate in the agreement being approved by the Court.

You must also be able to provide your marriage certificate showing you are married to the child’s parent. The child’s parent must provide the child’s full birth certificate, and where there is another parent with Parental Responsibility, proof that they have Parental Responsibility must be provided. All parties to the agreement must provide photographic evidence of identity, for example a passport or driving licence.