How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Miles Bentley Your Own Question
Miles Bentley
Miles Bentley, Senior Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 667
Experience:  BA (Hons), CPE, LPC
Type Your Law Question Here...
Miles Bentley is online now

Me and my girlfriend went away to London for a few days and

This answer was rated:

me and my girlfriend went away to London for a few days and I had booked an apartment. When I arrived it had looked nothing like the pictures I saw with holes in the wall, bro***** *****robe, leakage marks on the ceiling and above all else did not feel safe as the room right next to us was what looked like a barber shop that did not look to be legal. The door connecting the actual apartment was kept wide open for anybody to walk in and their response to this was that we had a key to lock the door to our room. Did not look secure at all. I have pictures with me to prove the damages. I have contacted the 3rd party company; which has spoken to the apartments manager which has responded by saying they are only offering to give me 40% of my money back, I have also paid a £50 deposit. Is there anything I can do? I just want to add that I did not stay at the property and booked another hotel instead
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the United Kingdom
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Getting in touch with the 3rd party company and the apartments response to this was saying they would give me 30% of my money back then when I said no they told me that 40% is all they are willing to offer
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just they was very unprofessional really

I am sorry to learn of your situation.
I am a Qualified Solicitor with over 19 Years experience in the UK.
I am currently reviewing your question and shall revert to you shortly but in the meantime, please confirm the ideal outcome you would wish to achieve.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I want my money back in full. Considering all the trouble iv been put through from all of this I’d also like some sort of compensation if at all possible.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thank you about the phone call, I would rather type please

I appreciate you turned down a Call from the System, it was not from me.

Please leave this with me and I shall forward you a typed Response shortly. Thanks.

Thank you for the clarification, I will be happy to Answer your Question, but please be sure to provide a Rating.

It appears that you have lost complete confidence with the the services provided, which you confirm were substandard.

You need to write to the company formally and ask for your money back, failing which you will take them to the Small Claims Court. This letter is called a "Letter before Action". Please see the attached that has an template Letter before Action

As your claim is worth less than £10,000, then it must be issued in the the Small Claims.

To Issue at Court, you need to complete a Form N1 together with the appropriate Court Fee. The Court Fee would be based on the Value of the Claim.

There is nothing stopping you from Issuing the Claim yourself.

I also attach herewith a link that will assist you in issuing the claim should you wish to do this yourself:-

As stated, you can issue the claim either in a paper and at your local court or you can do the claim online via MCOL, the attached link above will explain how it all works.

As your case is valued under £10,000, then please be advised that neither party is entitled to recover their Solicitors costs if they use a solicitor, no matter if they win or lose. In the small claims court, you are entitled only to your issue fee together with some expenses.

You could also contact your local Citizen Advise Bureau, who will be able to assist you for Free.

Finally, you may want to contact the Trading Standards you can do this via the

I trust this assists.

If you need a CALL to discuss and more in-depth advise, then please let me know.

If not then kindly leave a Positive Rating so JustAnswer can credit me for my time.

It was my pleasure to assist you today.

The Positive Rating can be provided by clicking the STARS on the top of your Screen.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will do the rating but first I just want to ask you’re personal view in this. Do you think I have a substantial case that would hold?

I would threaten Court Proceedings with the "Letter before Action" and see if the Company is prepared to pay up or agree an increase of say 50%. if not accept the 40% as a last resort to save a lot of hassle and time.

I wish you all the Best

The Positive Rating can be provided by clicking the STARS on the top of your Screen.est.

Miles Bentley and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you