How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12900
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am trying to find out my rights on a matter. Not sure

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am trying to find out my rights on a matter. Not sure where to start so just starting to find out
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Gloucestershire at the moment
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: What’s happened is that my brother has taken my laptop from my mothers and have wiped all information from it, it’s years of music I have made and documents from travelling/ pilgrimages basically a lifetimes work, he is a bully towards me and so I’m not sure what rights I have, if I have any at all. Does that make sense
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The above and
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My address is in Derbyshire although I am not there often or all the time

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wonder if there is compensation or a way to get my laptop back where I do not have to deal with him. He is quite aggressive and I feel he can’t get away with this, the family are scared of him and won’t do anything about it. It was not his property and he had no right to wipe all my work of the laptop. Essentially I do not own anything else it wasn’t a lifetimes work, so what can I do about it, if anything? Or can I financially get compensation?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jamie!

Have you reported anything to the Police?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No not yet I don’t know whether I should contact them first.

I would do that.

The Police can investigate the matter and prosecute where necessary.

If it was yours and he has taken it, that is theft.

As such he can be prosecuted for that.

If he has wiped your machine it could also be theft (of music) or an offence under the Misuse of Computers Act.

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there do the police deal with the misuse of computers act? And can a letter be written to my brother including this information?

Yes they do.

You could write a letter to your brother if you wish.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, so a solicitor cannot write a letter in my behalf?

Yes if you like, but there is a cost.

We can't do it, we are an online only service.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ah ok so do you know how much it would cost and which kind of solicitor I should contact. Thank you for your advice it’s very helpful

The cost would be around £200 or so.

Any High Street Solicitor can do it.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you.

Great. Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually I do have another question. Not sure what can be done. My family situation is very complex and abusive.
My mother since I was 14 actively slandered me to doctors, people who worked for her, the village/town as I grew up I worked in different places and she would come in cause problems, wrote letters to different bosses again slandering me. She had an illness but has been seen by the police and they deem her to be within her right mind and that all her actions are of a conscious choice. This was all a long time ago but she has continued through my life, it has caused me huge anxiety and mental health problems including ptsd, my brother plays on this and gets money from her and hence joins in the bullying. I have always wondered what my rights are with this and I have other people that can confirm what I’m saying is true although the family like to brush it under the carpet and as a result I am on the fringe and outcasted. What rights again do I have with all this, as quite often I am accused of making it all up(by my brother who took my laptop)
Sorry it’s long winded and convoluted.

Ah, that is a new question on a different topic.

Can you rate this question and post a new question thread?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.