How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12900
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I'm looking for advice regarding harrasment from my ex

This answer was rated:

Hi. I'm looking for advice regarding harrasment from my ex partner who has no right to live in UK
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Currently I live in North London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The situation escalated last year and he is been stopped by police. Few months ago I've been harrased while I was trying to leave him. I have run away to london and blocked any possible way of contact. But I haven't contact with the police
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The person I am afraid of is illegal imigrant from Iran with few criminal offences in the past. He keeps chasing me. I have no intentions of communicating with him and I recon the person is unpredictible and dangerous especially while drinking. I would be pleased if I can get advice about actions I can take and whats the deportation law. Thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Have you reported anything to the Police?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In yhe end of 2017 i have reported him and he's been arrested for driving while drunk, damaging my car, domestic violence.

But not for harassment?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Few months ago I left him. He got into the place I lived in destroyed my phone and tv and threatened me. I haven't reported this situation. I have moved to london and not contacted with him at all. Yesterday I found out he know where is my current work place and again I had numerous blocked phone calls from him
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since this situations happened I don't feel comfortable as I have to be careful who do I speak to and where do I go in case someone who knows him will see me and he will try to find me.

You should report the harassment to the Police.

They will warn your ex to stay away. If the ex does not then the ex can be arrested and prosecuted for harassment.

If your ex is illegal in the Uk then he could also be deported.

The Protection of Harassment Act 1997 states:

Prohibition of harassment.

(1)A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

(a)which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b)which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

[F1(1A)A person must not pursue a course of conduct —

(a)which involves harassment of two or more persons, and

(b)which he knows or ought to know involves harassment of those persons, and

(c)by which he intends to persuade any person (whether or not one of those mentioned above)—

(i)not to do something that he is entitled or required to do, or

(ii)to do something that he is not under any obligation to do.]

So report it to the Police. This will stop the unwanted contact.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would be pleased if we could find out what the deportation law says. I know he has reneved his documents in iranian embassy last year. I know he has no right to work in UK but still working with no contract. There is no deportation order but what are the chances he could be deported?

Yes he could be if the Police find him.

Also if he is harassing you, that is a very serious matter

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you for your time. I will talk to police officer and see what I can do to get pease of mind. Have a good day. Thanks a lot.