Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I've been emailed a draft court order and the opponents

Hi - I've been emailed a draft court order and the opponents lawyer in his email says that he will forward the sealed order when he has received it. Two questions 1) is a draft order a legal and binding document or will they need to serve the sealed order before it is valid 2) can an order be served by email or does it need to be served via mail or in person? Thanks for your help
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in the UK near London
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no - if i can get the answers to my 2 questions then that will be highly appreciated

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

1) It is not binding until sealed by the Court

2) Email is fine. But the Court will generally post it when sealed.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer, the button should be at the top of the screen. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. Just to clarify - can I respond to the other side's lawyer and say that until I receive the sealed order (by e-mail or by post) I will not consider it having been served?

Yes. You need a sealed version.
Does that assist?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you very much

Can I assist with anything else today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no thank you - i will get back to you in due course with further questions - kind regards

All the best. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face on the page before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!