Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am being personally persued for a debt of a limited

I am being personally persued for a debt of a limited company that I was a director of
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Written to the court
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Please can you explain the situation in more detail?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am a director of a limited company which is no longer trading. I am in the process of liquidating the company. When the company was trading it missed a payment to an online advertiser who went through a court to get the money. Since the judgment the company has stopped trading. A very aggressive bailiff has been contacting me saying that i am also personally responsible for the debt and that if the company can’t pay I will have to or they will seize my goods. The are coming to my home address which was the registered address of the company but we never traded from there. The company has no means to repay this debt or valuable goods. I don’t believe I am personally responsible

Hi was the contract only with the limit company?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

then you are right there is no action that the Baliff or the company can take against you personally and they have no right to seize your personal assets. If I were you I would contact the company that you had the contract with and tell them that their action amounts to harassment against you personally and that this needs to be dealt with solely by the court.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question then please do take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
contact the original creditor or contact the court

I would contact the original creditor it is unlawful for a baliff to chase you for a debt you do not owe and you do not personally owe this debt.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks that was my understanding. Even if they have a ccj and judgment against the company

Correct. You are a separate legal entity from the company. They cannot seize your assets. Ultimately if they do not stop it amounts to harassment and you can bring a claim on that basis.

If you have any further questions please ask. Otherwise I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for the time I have spent working on your question, thank you and all the best.